Saturday, March 22, 2014

Why Laughter is almost as good as an Orgasm


I have to keep this blog PG rated, so I'll try to describe this as delicately as I can.  You know how an orgasm feels like a release of energy that courses through your body?   And how it releases stress?  Don't you always feel better afterwards?  I know I do.  This has been the silver lining for Billy, if you know what I mean.

The same goes for a good belly laugh.  I always feel better afterwards.  An article in today's Wall Street Journal claims that humor increases intelligence, creativity and stress tolerance.  "It's Funny How Humor Actually Works."   Ok, I'll buy that but I don't need to dissect humor like that.  I just need to laugh. 

Anyone who knows me knows I'm a smiler and I love to laugh.  I love all kinds of humor-- from sophisticated to sophomoric. I love droll British humor and slapstick.  Any movie with Steve Buscemi in a comedy role will have me hooked. The Wedding Singer?  Hysterical.  Some of my favorite comedies include Local Hero, Napolean Dynamite and Airheads.   Oh, and What's Up Doc.  It was Madeline Kahn's movie debut.  She was brilliant. 

When I'm feeling blue I don't look for raindrops or roses.  I look for a movie with lots of laughs.  No apocalyptic dramas for me.  Hunger Games?  No thanks.  I'd rather watch even a lame comedy like Forgetting Sarah Marshall, although if you watch the unrated and uncut version its much funnier.  But really, a little Russell Brand goes a long way.  

Sheldon Cooper and his merry band of nerds, on the other hand, never gets tiresome to me.  Perhaps its because I see much of myself in Amy Farrah Fowler. 



My sense of humor may not be the same as yours, but it doesn't need to be.  Whatever makes you laugh makes you laugh.  It doesn't matter.  Just find it and watch it. You'll feel better, I promise.


No comments:

Post a Comment